Wednesday, October 22, 2014

How to Make your Own Garlic Powder

Garlic Powder
Garlic Powder - Photo by John Phelan

How to Make your Own Garlic Powder


The easiest way to make garlic powder is to use a garlic press in tangent with a dehydrator and a spice grinder. Most of my How to make your own powder recipes are probably going to be that simple. Don't worry I have all kinds of powder recipes to go along with the basic instructions. There is so so much that you can do.


Still I am so thankful that I have a spice grinder because I was reading Mother Earth News (a really cool site) on how to make garlic powder using your oven and it looked like a pain in the bootie. According to Mother Earth News to make garlic powder without a spice grinder and dehydrator you need to:

"First, peel the garlic cloves. Then cut them into thin slices and put in a dry pan. Place the pan in a 150-degree oven to dry the garlic, turning the slices often. Grind the dried slices in a blender, then sift the material through a strainer to separate the chunks from the finer powder."

My DIY Garlic Powder 


I don't know about you but I'd rather just put some garlic in the press, press them onto dehydrator sheets at 135 Degrees and dehydrate them for 4-6 hours before I toss them into the spice grinder and make garlic powder.

One tip I have for making Garlic Powder is to only make a little powder at a time because the dehydrated chunks will stay fresher in nonpowder form. I also don't like to keep dehydrated garlic around indefinitely because it can grow botulism so I usually make it up as I go philosophy.

I am going to be making some garlic powder tonight or tomorrow and will show you a photo or two that way you will know when the garlic is done. Typically it turns brown and becomes very brittle. But still, I know that a picture can speak a thousand words.

Storing Your Own Garlic Powder


If you are planning on storing garlic powder long term, I definitely recommend storing it in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Low temperatures are great at hindering the growth of botulism. Still I wouldn't recommend making large batches of garlic powder at a time. I make a little bit at a time and just make small amounts more frequently. Its a very quick dehydrate so its not really inconvenient (unless you hate the smell of garlic but I love it).


Related Topics

How to Dehydrate Garlic (expanded)
Leek Powder Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment