Thursday, October 16, 2014

How to Make Your Own Leek Powder

Here is a quick recipe on how to make your own Leek Powder. It is much cheaper than buying it at the store. Dirt Cheap by comparison. I had wonderful results. It made a really tasty powder that tasted similar to green onion. I will post some more uses for leek powder as I discover them. Sorry this post a little ricky ticky. I will improve it when my head clears up.

Leek powder is awesome. It tastes so much better than onion powder especially on pork. Once you go Leek you will never go back.

How to Make Your Own Leek Powder


Ingredients:


Dehydrated Leeks
Spice Grinder or Mortar and Pestle


Directions:


Making Leek Powder is incredibly simple. First you will need to dehydrate some leeks. Leeks are very simple to dehydrate. Basically cut them into 3/4 squares and dehyrate at 135 degrees (F) for about 3-6 hours. I have a link below that will give you more info on dehydrating leeks if you need it.

Then you simply toss them into an electric spice grinder (same thing as a coffee grinder) similar to mine. Whatever you have should hopefully work. I do not think you will be able to get the leeks fine enough with a Food Processor but you can try. I haven't tried it yet but I also think a mortar and pestle should work for making leek powder as long as it is made out of Marble. Avoid the cheap porcelain mortar and pestle sets because they can put potentially hazardous dust into your food.

Then load the spice grinder about a cup at a time and pulse the leeks into a fine powder. Then put them in an airtight glass container (I like baby food jars but I am not sure they are airtight) and store them in a dark place like your spice cabinet. Thanks for reading! Sorry it wasn't my most inspired writing but I wanted to get the basics down.

Related Topics


How to Dehydrate Leeks

No comments:

Post a Comment